Nelnet wants you to understand how we collect, protect and use your personal information and the choices you have about how that information is used. This notice covers all of the information handling practices for the Nelnet companies listed at the end of this notice. However, certain departments and/or products within these companies may have more restrictive information handling practices.
To access student loan account information and send e-mail via the Nelnet Sites, you will need a browser that supports the use of Secure Sockets Layer (Netscape 4.0or greater, MS Internet Explorer 5.0 or greater, etc). This encryption technology helps ensure the authenticity of your online sessions and secures data being transmitted over the public Internet.
If you are using Netscape Navigator, your session is secured if a key appears in the lower left corner of your screen; when the session is not secure, the key will appear broken. Internet Explorer displays a lock icon in a locked position on the status bar when you enter a secure site. When you leave a secure Web site, Internet Explorer displays a lock in an unlocked position on the status bar. If the page you are viewing uses frames, you may not see the key or lock, but can simply right-click anywhere in the frame and select “Properties”. If the Web site address (URL) starts with “https” the “s” indicates a secure site or area of the site.
When you enter a Nelnet Site, you will pass through our security “firewall” and we identify the Internet Protocol (IP) address of you computer or handheld device, the IP address won’t identify you personally, but it will let us identify the device you’re using and we store IP addresses in case we need to track a connection for security purposes.
If you supply us with your e-mail address, we may let you know by e-mail about other products and services and product enhancements that may be of interest to you. You will have the opportunity to tell us you don’t want to receive future messages with each message you receive. If you e-mail question or comment to us, we will use your e-mail address to reply to you and we will temporarily store your e-mail address, your message and our reply for quality assurance or to satisfy applicable laws and regulations. When we collect your e-mail address this way, we won’t use it for marketing our products and services unless you have given us permission. If you are not comfortable that your e-mail system is secure, you can always contact Customer Service by telephone.
We don’t knowingly collect, maintain or use personally identifiable information on the Nelnet Sites from children under age 13, unless first complying with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act. If we find out we have unknowingly collected such information we will take all reasonable measures to delete that information from our system as soon as possible. We are not responsible for the collection and use of information by companies or individuals unaffiliated with us whose Web sites may contain links to ours, including vendors where you may shop.
Please note that when you shop with a vendor who is linked to a Nelnet Site, even though you may have started your visit at a Nelnet Site, and even though Nelnet pages may still appear, your transactions are completed with a separate organization, not with Nelnet. We don’t share your personally identifiable information with them, but information you choose to share with them will fall under their privacy policies, which we encourage you to review. We carefully select other organizations in an effort to give you the value and excellent customer service you expect from Nelnet.
Information we collect and why
In order to provide you with products and services, we collect information about you from different sources:
- Information you provide to us on forms (such as applications), by e-mail, in writing, by telephone or through one of the Nelnet Sites.
- Information collected from your transactions with us or others, such as account activity.
- Information from unaffiliated third parties such as credit histories from credit reporting agencies.
Information safeguarding practices
Nelnet understands the trust you have placed in us and is committed to the security and privacy of your personally identifiable information.
- Our authorized employees, agents and contractors receive only the information about you they need to perform their required work.
- We comply with federally recognized safeguard standards including: intrusion monitoring, Secure Socket Layer, firewall monitoring, security audits, and system inspections. We safeguard data with password encryption technology.
- Companies that assist us in delivering our products and services are also required to protect your information and use it only for the services we ask them to perform.
Information sharing within the Nelnet affiliated companies
Nelnet may share information within our affiliated companies in order to better understand and provide solutions for your educational and financial needs. This enables us to selectively contact you about products, services and promotions that we believe will be of interest to you.
We may share all the information we have collected about you with our affiliated companies. If you prefer we not share third party consumer report information collected about you with our affiliated companies, you may instruct us not to do so by submitting to us a completed Nelnet Privacy Option form and checking option number 1. We may continue to share other information about you within these affiliated companies as required or permitted by law.
Information sharing with service providers and others outside the Nelnet affiliated companies
To the extent required or permitted by law, Nelnet may share the personally identifiable information we have collected from or about you with service providers and unaffiliated third parties for the following reasons:
- To service your account and provide you with products and services you’ve requested.
- To marketing providers that assist us in communicating additional products, services and special offers to you.
- To comply with a legal requirement, such as a law, regulation, court order, subpoena or search warrant, or in the course of a legal proceeding.
- In response to your consent or request.
- To report to a credit bureau.
- In the case of student loans, to report to a guaranty agency, school, or the U.S. Department of Education.
- We may disclose personally identifiable information to unaffiliated third parties. If you prefer we not share your personally identifiable information with unaffiliated third parties, you may instruct us not to do so by submitting to us a completed Nelnet Privacy Option form and checking option number 2.
Nelnet will accept opt-outs from individuals or joint account holders who may make privacy choices for each other.
Nelnet will automatically manage accounts with Vermont addresses as if the account holder has selected both opt out choices described above, unless we receive your consent to share your personally identifiable information. You may provide your consent by submitting to us a completed Nelnet Privacy Option form and checking option number 3.
Nelnet will automatically handle accounts with California addresses as if the account holder has selected not to have information shared with unaffiliated third parties. You may provide your consent by submitting to us a completed Nelnet Privacy Option form and checking option number 3.
Information about this policy
- This policy is effective January 1, 2008.
- This policy applies to current and former customers.
- In the event of material policy changes to this policy, a new privacy notice will be sent to you.
- This policy is available at www.nelnet.com.
Protecting your personally identifiable information
You are encouraged to take steps to protect your privacy by keeping passwords and personal identification numbers confidential, never disclosing personal information to unknown callers, and ensuring your Internet use is secured and protected from unauthorized access or use. If you believe you are a victim of identify theft:
- Call the Federal Social Security Administration fraud hotline: 800.269.0271
- File a police report with your local authorities, note the report number and officer’s name
- Call the Federal Trade Commission’s Identity Theft hotline: 877.IDTHEFT
- Contact the major national credit reporting agencies:
- Experian 888.397.3742
- Equifax 800.525.6285
- Trans Union 800.680.7289
- Innovis 800.540.2505
Nelnet companies covered by this policy
|National Education Loan Network, Inc.|
|Nelnet Guarantee Solutions, LLC|
|EFS Finance Co.|
|Chela Education Funding, Inc.|
|SLAAA Acquisition Corporation|
|LoanStar Funding Group, Inc.|
|Nelnet Education Loan Funding, Inc.|
|College Bound Loans, Inc.|
|National Education Loan of New England, Inc./NESLA|
|Petersons Nelnet LLC|
This list may change at any time without notice. Please visit www.nelnet.com to review the most current list of Nelnet companies covered under this policy.